Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New Influencers 2

I know this is a little late, but when getting ready to blog about this weeks reading, I remembered that I wanted to say something about Chapter 2 of the New Influencers. This chapter had so much information in it. I really enjoy this book. My favorite part was definitely the commandments of social media. I think it's neat that there are unwritten rules that people really do follow. Now that I have been a part of the social media world for a few weeks, I was able to see the trend of people posting links, commenting, and being transparent. I think it's nice [best word I can think of] that people can still follow unspoken guidelines. I think that really shows the maturity of bloggers and social media. Also in this chapter, I loved the excerpt at the end. Gillin didn't want to write about popular social media sites such as MySpace or YouTube throughout his book since there are so many other useful sites out there. But, to give them credit, he wrote four pages acknowledging their influences on our generation as well as explaining them in more detail. When I sign on my MySpace now, I feel more informed and have a better idea of what the site really is capable of. I never realized until reading this section all the aspects of MySpace such as music, commercials, giveaways, and more.

No comments: