Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Social Media Takes Over

After searching for some stuff on social media, I realized I didn't need to post about something new, because I learned so much at the PRSSA National Conference.

First, I know social media is the new thing. I have a class, I read blogs, I know what is going on. But after hearing professional after professional discuss how social media is impacting their career and public relations in general, I did not truly get the full affect.

First, in an international PR session, the woman discussed how international PR is now mainly geared through social media. How every campaign is seen world wide, so they always need to take into consideration, the content. They also need to adapt every aspect to every culture. I felt as though the whole hour long session was about social media, not international public relations.

Then, during the PRSA sessions, all of those speakers spent much of their time on social media. Bob Lutz, of General Motors, spoke about how he reads blogs and welcomes positive and negative comments. He even said there are people who are specifically hired to monitor that aspect of the company. Craig from Craig's List, obviously spoke about social media. Someone asked if he was going to vamp up his site, and he said no because social media is meant to be simple and to the point. Penelope Trunk touched on social media since she has a blog and such.

Honestly, the amount of speakers who talked about social media was insane. They all motivated me to get onto the bandwagon and really begin taking social media more seriously than before. I really need to begin almost budgeting my time so I can read and check on blogs, post my own, and even get more in-tune with whats going on.

Social media really is taking the reigns with PR and I can not wait to get on the bus!

No comments: