Friday, November 7, 2008

More Construction?!

First, the new pharmacy building. Next, the Inn. Now, new affinity. I am not sure how much more construction I can handle! With the Inn, I would walk to class and all you could hear was Spanish music and construction workers yelling. I was more than excited when ONU was finally finished building at the beginning of this year. And I will give it to them, the Inn looks sweet, but it took forever to complete. And instead of waiting until this upcoming summer to continue new construction, ONU has begun clearing land and placing pipes for a new affinity. I think it's great that they are finally building more housing because this has obviously been a problem for years, but do they really need to start during week 9 of fall quarter? Right out my window, I can see all of the machines and hear the terribly loud noises. I'm not sure if I can handle this for the year. Even when I walk to class, I pass by newly constructed fences with men creeping around them talking about the most random things that I really don't care about. And if that isn't bad enough, their work begins around 7am. Or at least that's when I can hear them. What better to wake up to then a bulldozer?

And with next week being 'dead week,' I don't think my sorority can handle the noise. We all like to study in our rooms and that just doesn't look like it will be able to happen due to the noise. I wish ONU would be more considerate. They know finals are coming up, why couldn't they wait to begin their construction? Or at least warn the two existing affinity buildings about what is happening.

Who is going to live in the new affinity anyway? You have three sororities and honors housing at the moment. I think ONU should have just moved the three sororities and given us Greek-style houses somewhere new on campus and used our current affinity houses for housing. I guess this is due to my bias of being in a sorority and knowing ONU pulled a fast one on us. When I was a freshman, affinity was brand new and it was the first year of DZ living there. And I was told by our seniors that the house we ended up with is not what we signed on for. We were supposed to have a Greek house, columns and all. The works. But ONU claimed multiple things such as they didn't have enough time and since only two sororities signed on, they couldn't follow the original plans. To me, this is completely unfair. I grew up with contracts. My dad owned five companies at one point. He hired people to build and excavate all the time. He always drew up contracts and if they were broken, it did not go unnoticed. He made sure the people he hired followed through with what they said they would, otherwise, he would sue them. I would like to see the contract DZ signed with ONU about our housing. I am sure something is broken but ONU is so shady about everything. I am sure they have burned the contract or something. My goal before I graduate is to get to the bottom of the DZ housing issue. Because right now, I live in a 'sorority house' with multiple RA's in dorm style rooms with construction lingering constantly outside my window.

Shady ONU. The small friendly school I once fell in love with is no more.

1 comment:

Dr. Alisa Agozzino said...

Awe...come on Amanda. We know you'll forever love dear ONU.