Friday, October 10, 2008

Be good. Be damned good.

It's the second week I have left PRSSA inspired. Tonight, Dr. Joe Trahan spoke to us, but not about something typical. He didn't discuss social media or how to stand out from a crowd. He took us back to the basics of being a leader. He served in the military and that definitely shaped him into the professional he is today. When he was talking about being a leader, I re-evaluated everything I do as a leader. I hold two executive positions. One in Delta Zeta and the other in PRSSA. I love both of my positions, but they can get extremely overwhelming. Yet tonight's speech made me remember why I ran for these positions and why I got elected.

I can do great things. We all can. We just have to lead from the front. And even on days when I have been busy from the time I woke up, I need to handle my leadership roles with energy and enthusiasm. If I am not excited, why should the people who look to me be excited? With DZ, we dress up for our sisterhood meetings. And as an executive member, I try every week to look extra nice, not just kahkis and a polo. It's little things like that that I think people notice and take note of.

After tonight, I realized I need to keep doing what I am doing and even start doing more. I need to remember L.E.A.D.E.R. everyday and try to live it in my daily life. Anyone can be a leader, but to be a great leader, you need all of those components.

And even though the whole presentation was motivational, one of Dr. Trahan's final sayings was to "be good. Be damned good." And to me, it was like a light bulb went on. I can't just be great or pretty good. I have to be damned good to be successful in PR. And what better time to start than tonight?

No comments: