Monday, November 17, 2008

Ranking Social Media

This week, I explored digg.com, as usual. I think this is my favoite social media site to find news. I find it easy to "digg" through news that I am interested in and weed out stuff that I could care less about. I decided to search for new social media stuff. I came across a blog that rated the Top 10 Social News Sites, according to their appearance and layout.

I was extremely pleased when Digg.com came out as number 3 in this bloggers opinion. I find this site so easy to use. But the best part about the article, was looking at the other social news sites I have yet to explore. First, I checked out StumbleUpon, which appeared similar to digg. Every story had a brief sentence or two describing the article along with a picture. But despite the easy layout, the unfamiliarity and difference from digg, turned me away.

Next, I looked into Mixx and loved it! Rated number 1 in the blog I read, Mixx is the perfect site. There is a poll on the right hand side that changes everytime you vote. First, there was a political question and then one about the popular TV show, GossipGirl. How fantastic! Similar to Digg, users can rate stories by voting. Also, on the home page, you can enter into a search bar labeled "What are you interested in." After entering a topic you want to see news on, the home page will stay the same, but there will be additional stories beneath the search bar pertaining to your interests. Definitely check out this Web site because it is now my favorite social media site!

I think it is awesome that people are blogging about news sites because I can now look at multiple news sites that I never knew existed. With the new sites I found, I feel like I will be able to get a better variety of news from multiple sites and become a better informed blogger. Everyone should look into these sites!

No comments: