Monday, November 10, 2008

Coke Down

I was taken back by the fact that when searching for Vault, a soda made by Coca-Cola, the Web site made by Coke didn't appear for over twenty-five pages. But, the fan-made page was the first result. This astounds me. The mere idea that consumers have this much power with the break out of the Internet and blogging is insane! Karkovak was able to launch not only one, but two, popular Web sites dedicated to different sodas that significantly. Coke used to be a company that did not embrace consumer fan clubs and opinions. Karkovak completely changed Coke's opinion and helped them to use consumers as a benefit. Karkovak, in a round about way, helped Coke to alter their Web site and make it more user friendly.

Citizen Markerts really demonstrated in this chapter the power the consumer now has with the advances in the Internet. As a Generation Y, I have had access to the Internet since I was in ... maybe 6th grade? I have always used it solely to surf the Web and to connect to AIM. When MySpace came out in high school, I joined that networking site. And then Facebook, I signed on as soon as I could. Since being in college and especially a social media class, I have truly seen the endless possibilities the Internet offers. Everything from blogs to consumer feedback to Web sites dedicated to the revival of a soft drink, the Internet is limitless. I am excited to see how public relations and marketing take on the Internet in the upcoming years and I hope, with my major, I play an active role in my profession. Ready or not Internet, here I come!

No comments: