Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What Did We Do Before This?

After reading this week about search engines and such, I realized how privileged I feel our generation is. In the past, people had to go to the library, search through old-school book catalogs, and do all of the research for their papers and homework themselves. Today, I can just sit in my dorm room, listen to music, and use the Web to find anything I need. I really see this as really spoiled. The fact that I can get my hands on anything with a click of a mouse is insane. Search engines are such a crazy concept. You type in a statement or a word and thousands of results surface.

Our generation has taken things further by using social media. When reading, it was like a light bulb. Not only can we use the the Internet for school research, but for our professions. We can google topics and find blogs and public opinions. We can even discover target audiences. And now with things such as digg.com and technorati.com, searching for these things is even easier.

As much as I curse social media at times, because it is overwhelming. And as often as I yell about the Internet, because it never seems to find exactly what I want. I know I would be lost without the ability to just sign onto the Web and find the answers to silly questions, research topics, and target audiences. I guess, deep down, below my hatred for the Internet and social media, I really do like it and it's really growing on me.

No comments: