Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Social Media Changing the World

Written over a year ago, an article I found titled Digg Life: How Social Media Will Change the World hit the nail on the head with the direction social media will go. The first half of the article discussed many aspects of social media we have already studied. It highlighted how "the masses" such as the users, decide what pieces of information are important. Everyday people just like you and me can have a voice as important as popular news anchors. I loved one part of the article where it explained that information on the Web is now made popular based on "how good you are, not who you know." I think this is a great point regarding to media, but not networking. I think with jobs and internships, knowing people is still key, but when focusing on getting your blog out there, it is based on how well you write.

The most interesting thing in the article discussed politics. Since this article was written over a year ago, it was when the presidential election was just beginning to start up. Digg began discussion about a social media Web site solely for politics. I think this would have been a fantastic idea so people could voice their opinions and other citizens could look at issues from multiple view points. With the election now over, I have yet to see a site such as this. I feel as though many people did voice their opinion but there was not one site where you could look at multiple opinions at once.

Overall, it's crazy to see how people predicted social media would be such a big deal years ago. I can only imagine where it's going to take us in the future.

1 comment:

CaseyDee said...

I also posted a blog like this one. My article was from two years ago when people were predicting what trends were going to take over social media in PR. I think the article you found is very interesting. It's also amazing to me how people can predict how well things will take off in the future and what kinds of things will become our 'norms.' It makes me wonder what people are saying right now about topics we'll consider 'normal' two years from today!