Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ohana

My sister visited last night. Right now, she is standing across the room doing her hair before she has to drive to her new house in Illinoise. Her husband is in the Air Force and got orders this summer to move from Jersey out to the mid-west. Let me tell you, she is none too thrilled. She decided to stop here to break up the 17 hour drive and I think last night was the first time we got along in a long time. We never argued or anything. She's nine years older than me and it's usually hard for us to see eye to eye. We grew up in very different times and she always takes on a more motherly role, but not last night. I'm not sure if it's cause all of the DZ's were around or what, but she was a lot of fun! I even dragged her to the PAC lab and introduced her to the PR kids :) She thinks they are all super nice and quite funny. I even took her to the place some of us are looking at for next year and she loved it. I don't necessarily need her stamp of approval, but it feels good to have her enjoy the people I have been surrounding myself with at college.

Her latest idea as of last night was to get tattoos that say "ohana." In Hawaiin, this means family. It's something her, my mom, and I all say to each other. In theory, I think a tattoo would be sweet, but I always talk myself out of it. Now I need to talk my sister out of it too!

No comments: