Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sorority Forever ♥

So, I just wrote a blog, but I need to get this out there. I have a myspace and I sign on every so often. Well, on the homepage to place my email and password, I saw an advertisement for some Myspace tv show called Sorority Forever. The tagline for the show said "The most beautiful girls on campus have an ugly secret." And all I thought was what a load of bull that was. I really can't believe people feed into stereotypes so much. I was one of those people, that's for sure. I thought Greek life was stupid and full of dumb drunken girls and arrogant self-centered guys. But as a freshman at college, I gave it a try. And thank god I did. I love my sorority. More than anything. And I know people think it's cheesey, but it's the truth. These girls mean more to me than anything. They are some of the most intelligent and genuine people I have ever met. Of course they party, we all party. We are at college for god's sake.

But why must everything having to do with Greek life in the media be so negative. Greek, the show on ABC Family, is really good about balancing stereotypes with real life. But there are books that are published that bash sororities and claim they haze and make it sound like hell. And I will be honest, some campuses have sororities that haze and do terrible things. Yet, there are colleges like mine, where Greek life is so different from what people think. We don't spend every day wasted and we don't force girls to drink. We don't circle girls' fat or make them do things against their wills. We instead have TV nights and sleepovers. And on this campus, all sororities and fraternities get along fairly well. We do philanthropic things almost monthly. We have socials without alcohol and go everywhere together. We are more than just a sorority or a fraternity, but a sisterhood and a brotherhood. We aren't in it for parties and beer, but we do it because it makes us better as students and people.

I have learned so much from my sorority and I still have two years ahead of me. I am currently the Vice President of Membership, which puts me in charge of recruitment. I designed shirts and made books. I organized and planned four mini parties from scratch ranging from theme to food to activities. And all of that applies to my public relations major. I learned how to become a leader, a scholar, a mentor, a sister, and a better person. When my sister's are spending the night studying, it makes me want to study. They make me want to be a better person and I feel that is something no one understands. Greeks aren't just people who hang out. We are a group of friends that are so close, we call each other sisters and brothers. We don't stop at anything to help a fellow member out. When one of our sisters passed away last year, not only did our entire sorority attend her memorial, but the Greek community as a whole went and was there for us. When one of our sister's mother passed away, we all drove two hours to go to the viewing and be there for her.

So this blog is kinda long, but I really want everyone to see the other side of Greek life. I want the public to know that it's not all crafting and partying, but there is substance to sororities. That we may be stereotyped, but that doesn't make those stereotypes true. My sorority is so much more than just a group of friends that I pay for. It is a home away from home, a safe haven. I can cry with these girls or I can laugh with them. A trip to wal-mart turns into a night of fun. But not because we are airheads who drink, party, and get naked. But because we are all individuals who have goals and who study and study hard. We are more than just a sorority ... we are a sisterhood. And i couldn't ask for a better group of friends. And if people want to continue to stereotype and bad mouth Greek life, go right ahead. Because it's not something I can really explain. It can't be written on paper or in a blog. But it's something that needs to be felt and experienced. I could go on for hours, but you still won't understand it until you're a part of it.

1 comment:

JamienneNoell said...

Amanda, I love your passion that shows through this article. Even though I am not a member in a sorority, I strongly support your views. For some reason, greek life always seems to be negatively portrayed in the media. It needs a new pr agent. I have no doubt that sororities are amazingly positive experiences for the people involved. As long as people keep fighting the unfair stereotypes, like you do in this post, greek life's image has a good chance to turn around for the better.