Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Only One Chapter In

Read The New Influencers chapter one. It was no where near as boring as I expected. I like that it's not a text book, but an actual book. Makes reading it seem less like school work. I didn't know what a blog was or anything until I opened the book. I guess I had a general understanding, but hadn't grasped the concept until the chapter progressed. I realized that blogs aren't just something my generation does in their spare time, but blogs are useful to companies, businesses, and even mainstream media. It's interesting to know that the two media worlds interact, and that it is in a complementary way. Although the chapter discussed many incidents where blogs released vital information to the public, such as the Sony cd issue and the AOL customer service fiasco, but the most interesting was definitely the one about George W. Bush and the draft. I think blogs really do give people a voice. I mean, most people who blog aren't some big wig on TV or a movie star. They are just the average person with an opinion and a voice. The fact that these average people can exploit information given to the public by such a major news source as 60 Minutes is astonishing. It really makes me understand that social media as a whole is on the rise and making a difference in more than just the PR world. Honestly, I used to think that social media was a bunch of fluff. I assumed that it was all computer geeks and people who had nothing better to do with their time then write about their life and post silly videos of their friends on youtube. But after just studying this topic for one day and reading one chapter, I am just beginning to grasp the impact social media is having on the professional world. I am beginning to like blogging and having an outlet for my opinions, ideas, and thoughts. Now I see why social media is such an interesting way to communicate.

No comments: