Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Limits on Teen Drivers

While on digg.com, I found something pretty high tech and fairly cool, if you ask me. There was an article [http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081006/ap_on_hi_te/ford_teen_drivers] about Ford coming out with new models that will let parents limit the speed of their teen drivers. Being from New Jersey, I didn't get my license till my 17th birthday. And personally, I think many states need to up their age on driving to 17 as well. Not that everyone is bad drivers, but at 16, I don't think kids are mature enough. Looking back on how I was when I was 16, I can't imagine how other teens acted. Something like these new models might be a good way for parents to have some control over their teenagers without increasing the age. I feel as though speeding is something new drivers run into. Everyone has those awkward first few weeks of driving. You use your blinker 24/7 and turn it on more than 100 feet before the stop sign. You are super careful pulling out of places and never make sharp turns. But once the fear of messing up passes, many drivers turn into speed demons. Although I support increasing the age in crazy states where you can have your permit at 15, I think this control over speed is a great idea for Ford and will help parents have a better sense of control over their teens.

2 comments:

Tegan said...

I have mixed feelings about this topic. I feel like some kids are a little behind on the whole maturity thing, but I feel like that is up to parents whether or not their child starts driving, let alone gets a car. First of all, I didn't get a car till I was 17 and I used an old school, boat like taurus that was my dads. There was no brand new vehicle for me to drive. I learned from experience, if I got a ticket or got in an accident I had to pay for it and I got the car taken away in the process.
On the flip side, I understand parents wanting to keep their kids safe and under "parental control" but there is a time in which you just have to let go and see what happens. Overall, I feel like this is something that will grab parents attention and be hot on the market.

amckelveydz said...

I see where you are coming from. In the article, they said this car was more of a family car. Like if I didn't have a car and wanted to borrow the house car, my parents could put a limit on my speed. But there are helicopter parents that definitely need to chill out.