Monday, December 14, 2009

Technology Runs Lives

Media is taking over our lives and I am so unsure about how to handle it. Everyone I know in the PR world, whether they are in the work force or a junior in college, has a blackberry/iPhone-and I just can't grasp the idea of either. I do not own a blackberry/iPhone and probably won't until I have a job where it is more beneficial than harmful to own one. My issue with them is that everyone that has one has it attached to their hand and it makes me sick. I know I shouldn't be saying this since many people use them for their professional life and they are an extremely valuable social media tool, but I just don't get how a 19 year-old college can be so addicted to a machine. My friends play on Facebook and look up random things online. The majority of students I know who have one do not use it for important e-mails or business, but rather for fun. They can't go anywhere without texting and updating Twitter. I get that social media sites are important, if not vital, but why do I need to update my Twitter every few hours?

Since my computer started to wig out at the beginning of the year, my social media use has severely decreased. I have a new computer and I try to close it when I'm not around or unplug it when it's not in use. I never have more than a few programs running at once to try to keep it healthy. It may just be in my head, but I am trying to take better care of my computer. And because of this, I never update my Twitter or blog. I rarely check my Facebook. Since my computer isn't open and the program isn't up, I don't feel the need to check it. Instead, I'll go do some homework or take a walk outside rather than getting consumed by a screen. But with most people having their computer attached to their hand, it seems to be all they focus on.

I really do think devices such as blackberrys and computers are more than necessary, but why are people so obsessed with them? Why does everyone have to Tweet about every thing they read? Why play on Facebook to check up on people you don't even call friends? These devices are really losing their appeal to me. I simply use my cell phone to text and make calls. I will get the Internet on my phone when it will improve my performance at a job, not in college. I am not important enough to need to read my e-mails as soon as I get them. The e-mails can wait. Everyone wants everything right now. They are always rushing around and in such a frenzy and I attribute this largely to the device strapped to their hand. I use my computer at a minimum and am trying to live my life through living it, not a computer.

The worst part is that I'm nervous my view will affect my chances of landing a job. I enjoy blogging, but only when I have something I feel is important to say. I like tweeting, but only when I think my followers will benefit from what I tweet. As a future PR person, I am aware that I will have to use social media daily for my clients or business, which is totally understandable. I just don't get why everyone needs to obsess over their personal social media. It's good to have a brand and something to say, but only if it's valuable.

I really wish there was less pressure to use social media 24/7 and I wish people who owned smart phones would use them for what they were made for, not applications that help you find a restaurant or land a date or post a tweet about a cool car you saw.

Seriously, put down your electronics and spend some quality time face to face with people or outside.

No comments: