Thursday, October 30, 2008

Webinar

Last night, for Delta Zeta, I attended a webinar on recruitment. The program is called Recruitment Boot Camp and it is meant for both sororities and fraternities. When I walked in, I had no idea what was going on. In class, we have talked about webinars and video conferencing, but I haven't experienced them in a long time. The last time I remember a video conference was when I got to watch knee replacement surgery my senior year. And I'm not sure if watching someone cut open a patient's knee really counts as a conference.


Anyway, as soon as we walked in, the guy, David Stollman, was talking and asking questions while the advisors of panhel and IFC typed to him. Everyone else in the room looked genuinely confused. They had no idea why there was a God-like voice talking to them and where the voice was coming from. I turned to the 8 other members representing DZ and told them what this was. I felt extremely proud of myself, that I paid attention in my class and knew what was going on. The rest of the room remained in a state of confusion as the presentation started.



Now, at this webinar, since it's the only one I've been to, there were a number of cool things. First, David Stollman had a powerpoint that he was able to put up on our screen and change the slides from where he was. A chatroom type area was located on the lefthand side of the screen. Other schools that were viewing the same presentation were writing comments and asking questions. I was really excited to see how the whole webinar worked, like the complete social media geek I am.



Halfway through the presentation, David Stollman asked for questions. Here is where I got angry. First, I was upset with the two advisors that neither of them explained to everyone what exactly was going on. Not everyone knows what a webinar is and they were all really taken back by what was going on. It took the room quite a few minutes to be quiet and grasp what was happening. As if that isn't bad enough, some of the other schools were asking questions and typing them into the chat room. David would answer the questions right away. What upset me, was that both advisors were sitting in the back of the room and not asking for us to participate. The point of a webinar is to be able to have an active conversation with the person presenting even though they are not really there. At some points, David Stollman would ask for feedback on if we were following or if we could still hear him. He would ask for each school to type into the chat room if they were doing okay. Well our advisors were sitting in the back of the room and never typed back or participated. I was extremely maddened by this because I am in a social media class and I understand the whole concept, and it's aggrivating that other people are trying to use these new technologies but not in their respectable form.



Aside from my anger, I loved Recruitment Boot Camp. Everything David Stollman said was extremely helpful and beneficial. After leaving the session, I felt so motivated to do more in the chapter. I wanted to make a wish list last year but had no idea if it would be successful. After last night, I know it will be a success. I read "I Heart Recruitment" and that motivated me a little, but this webinar was eye opening.

No comments: